So I've mentioned that my oldest does Irish dance. We've moved since I last posted, and her new dance school is SO much better than the old one. In fact, the old one no longer has a location where we used to live. We switched regions and my daughter has moved into Prizewinner in her Reel and Slip Jig and is hoping to move out of Novice for her Treble Jig and Hornpipe. Last December she competed at the Southern Region Oireachtas in the Traditional Set competition; this December she'll be doing solo competition, and I'm in the process of making a new dress. I'll try to document this as I go. Having already made her a solo dress, I learned a lot and sometimes I get asked my opinion on fit for dresses, as well as for the boys' equivalent - the vest/waistcoat. A boy in our new school wanted a vest and tried one on - my opinion was that it didn't fit and there wasn't a lot of room for him to grow - important, because his genetics are likely to make him a tall drink of water, and at 13 he was liable to have a growth spurt at any moment. His mom didn't buy the vest but a few weeks later I got a call that she was interested in having me make one for him. I accepted it.
We met and I got his measurements, plus we talked about design and color. He wanted a wolf design but our instructor nixed the idea of a realistic wolf. She encouraged him to look at Celtic designs but he didn't find a Celtic wolf he liked. He focused on the design that was on the vest he'd tried on - one that had two dragons. I explained that I couldn't copy the original but would work a design that was similar.
The original design:
I feel that this has a good Viking feel to it, almost like the carved prows of Viking ships.
Once we got the design approved I had to find someone to digitize it for my machine. Now, I only have a 5"x7" embroidery field on my machine. That means that any design that is bigger than that has to be split. I took the design to a local guy who runs the sewing machine sales and repair shop because I was told that he does digitizing, too. They sell a digitizing program for some ridiculous amount and he teaches how to use it. Well, I can't afford that program and it doesn't run native on a Mac and my Windows computer is ancient and slow - not fit for the task, honestly. Anyway, I asked how much it will cost to digitize and told him my machine size and he seemed reluctant to do it, saying that he could do it but not split it and that I would be better off having someone else embroider it for me. Of course, that costs money and I honestly didn't quote enough to do that. And anyway, I wanted to do it myself, if only for the experience. To top it off, he offered the solution of buying some pre-made design that was bigger than my hoop and then having someone embroider it for me.
That's about it for now. I'm going to try and get together posts about the (first) solo dress I did for Maeve and all the work that went into that before I start any on the process about the new dress. And of course there are many other sewing projects that happened in the past 4 years which I'll attempt to address. I may end up consolidating a lot of them.